Saturday, November 21, 2009

GIGO for Weight Loss

I'm reading: GIGO for Weight LossTweet this!
I went out with a friend to lunch this week and he asked me a question that I hear a lot:

"Mike, I've been exercising a lot lately, but I have barely lost any weight. Why?"

My friend works in the computer industry so I decided to answer his question in familiar terms for him.

First, I told him that exercising was a great start in his fat loss journey. However, I told him his diet was even more important than the exercise. I asked him if he understood the term GIGO. Of course he said yes and told me GIGO stood for Garbage In Garbage Out for computer programing. So basically if you put bad code into a computer than you can expect to get bad results.

I proceeded to tell my friend to apply the same GIGO theory from computers to his fat loss goals.

He looked at me like I was nuts!!!

I went on to explain that if you put garbage into your body (junk food, sweets, soda, etc.) then junk is going to come out (fat, cellulite, stomach rolls, etc.). In order for my friend to be successful he needed not only to exercise but also cut his caloric intake and start eating healthy foods.

So remember when you are trying to lose fat that your diet is MORE important than exercise. If you put garbage into your body than you will get garbage (FAT) back out!

1 comment:

  1. Preach on! I tell clients this all the time. Many people want to eat what they want and expect great gains from the gym. Nutrition and exercise go hand in hand. There isn't one without the other.

    I just posted a blog that quoted a good friend of mine. In reference to eating all the foods we love, he said "it's fun getting out of shape, but it sure as hell isn't fun getting in shape." He wasn't referring to exercise. His target was people becomining disciplined in their eating.

    So Mike, GIGO is a perfect way to put it.

    ReplyDelete